Today I want to share a Craigslist end table makeover I completed recently.
Searching Craigslist is one of my favorite hobbies. I do it all the time. My mom and sister tell me I have a problem...
...I say I'm just doing the world a favor by rescuing unwanted furniture and giving it new life! I know, it's kind of a weird hobby for a 21 year old. But it keeps me off the streets!
Anyway, here's the victim. Nice legs, sturdy. By no means a priceless antique or anything (I got it for $7 from the nicest old man).
It was that ugly yellow-ish oak color that I really can't stand. I don't know why I loath it so much, but it really just bothers me. When I saw it on CL I knew it was the perfect piece for me to try a new technique on. I had seen so many absolutely gorgeous pieces done by Miss Mustard Seed that have natural wood tops and painted bottoms. So I thought this small piece would be a good place for me to start!
I started off by sanding the top down completely so I could stain it. The legs I just hit with medium grit enough to give the paint something to stick to. I used some Minwax wood conditioner on the top that I had left over from a previous project.
While that was soaking in I put a coat of Kilz primer on the legs.
After 15 minutes I started staining. Which was a nightmare! I was using gel stain, which I do not recommend. Maybe others have had success with it, but I have had nothing but problems every time I use it. I was only using it this time because I have so much left over and I can't justify wasting it. I'm a college student, on a budget!
Anyway, I couldn't get it even. After several attempts I sanded it down bare and started over. One side was still turning out shades lighter than the top. Refusing to give up I recoated that side 10, maybe 15 times. I am not exaggerating. And while I don't think it matches perfect, it is close enough for me. And it looks so much better than the before.
After the staining fiasco concluded I used my favorite shade of white at the moment (Martha Stewart's "Tailor's Chalk" in semi-gloss) on the legs. It's a not too creamy, not too bright white that I've fallen in love with. Two coats, a little drying time and the little beauty was ready for a distressing.
I decided I needed a glaze, but instead of buying one (which I've been really tempted to do) I used what I had on hand. A little Raw Umber, a little Blue and some Gamsol and I was good to go.
Over all I'm totally happy with the final result. Here it is in my parents' living room. Don't mind all the brown, we're in the middle of redecorating!
It may not be a gorgeous antique dresser, but hey, I think I pulled off a pretty good MMS imitation!
PS: Linking up to Between U & Me & Miss Mustard Seed's Copy Me Challenge & Remodelaholic & The Shabby Nest !