Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

6.02.2011

A Curbside Coffee Table

Who doesn't love free stuff? It must have been fate. Around the time that I picked up my first curbside find my best friend, Rachel, called to tell me she found an awesome coffee table someone was throwing away in her neighborhood.

{I apologize for all the yucky iPhone pictures in this post.}
Here it is after we applied some paint stripper to the top. it looks white, but it's actually a gross looking light yellow. I can't even describe it.

I have nothing against yellow, as you can see in this coffee table makeover I completed a while back. But this was. just. wrong.




The paint job was sloppy and thick and required a lot of muscle to strip.

After the first round of stripping.

After the second round of stripping and sanding forever.


We stained the top dark walnut and painted the base in a white we had left over from this project.


The knobs were on the piece when Rachel found it and we liked them so they stayed. Rachel, unfortunately, does not have room for this in her apartment, so right now her parents are fostering it in their living room. When Rachel does have room for it... it may get ugly!



We did a little distressing to bring out some imperfections and blend nicely with the worn top.





It's a beauty all right. And the only thing Rae had to buy was some stain. This project literally cost only pennies. I'm a little jealous.

Anyone else find any fab "trash" lately?

Sincerely,
Ashleigh


PS: Don't forget to download our free June calendar!

PPS: 

24 comments:

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

It's hard to believe that's the same table. Excellent transformation!

The Painted Parlor said...

Wow!! It looks like a totally different piece! Awesome find, I LOVE faree!!

Julie

Cindy said...

Very much like it!

Unknown said...

great find, i love the stain on the rustic looking top. great job!!

Janet said...

Wow! Your table looks so nice! I love the colors. You did such a nice job. :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks awesome, ashleigh! i love the dark wood top- it was perfect for that table!

Just Jaime said...

I love it! So beautiful and you can't beat free!

Decor & Harmony said...

Very nice and free is always best! I love the wood and paint combination its my favorite.

Homemade Heather said...

Gorgeous ~ love the stained top! Thanks for sharing ~ come by and say hi sometime girls!! :D

ritajoy @harbourbreeze said...

Beautiful job...I love it! After you distressed the white part, did you put stain over it? Or how did you get the "distressed" parts to look dark?

THEBUZYBUG said...

Love the transformation. It's amazing what you can do with a little paint and elbow grease! I did find a fab piece of trash!! My neighbor was throwing out an ugly wooden pallet and of course I dragged that thing home. My husband and kids were so embarrassed! They weren't embarrassed after it was all done! Come on over to my blog and check it out!! Thanks for sharing.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Absolutely beautiful! I can't believe it's the same table.

Anonymous said...

Your coffee table turned out so lovely!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Okio B Designs said...

My motto is if it's free it's for me! What a score and what a fabulous makeover! Coming over from Met Monday and your newest follower!

Jeanine

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Love that top!!!! What an awesome change up...yay you!

Roeshel said...

Ashleigh - you did a beautiful rescue. It's gorgeous. I love the dark rich wooden top with the creamy distressing. You're such a good friend. ;)

Thanks for sharing in the DIY project Parade!

Have a great week!
Roeshel

Rita's Recipes said...

Great work! It looks fabulous!
Rita

Kari said...

This piece is absolutely gorgeous! Great job!!!

Polka Dot Bungalow said...

Just came across this lovely table!!! {Beautiful job}!! Thank you for sharing! Just shared with my lovelies!


{HUGS} and Blessings,
Stephanie

Shop: www.polkadotbungalow.etsy.com
Blog: www.polkadotbungalow.blogspot.com
Facebook: Polka Dot Bungalow

abeachcottage said...

Great transformation, you did a great job with this piece. Well done!

Kristen said...

It's absolutely gorgeous - I can't believe it's the same table you found on the curb! I need to drive along your road and scout out some good finds.

I'd love if you'd stop over at my blog at www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com

Kristen
Turning a House into a Home

Jennifer said...

Wow - it's gorgeous!! It looks totally different - I love it! Visiting from DIY Showoff.

- Jenn @ Social Salutations

Classy Clutter said...

Stunning!! I just did this same technique with a french dresser!

Check it out!
http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2011/05/frenchy-dresser-buffet-makeover.html

XO, Mallory
http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

Erin said...

it's beautiful! there are never any decent curbside freebies around here :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...