Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

6.14.2011

A Craigslist Rocking Chair

Moving in t-minus 3 days. Ahhh crazyness. I have so much packing/cleaning to do. And there have been some complications with the couch situation. Frustration!

In the mean time...

I picked this number up off Craigslist for $12. I loved that it was mostly stripped. You could tell this poor girl had been quite a few different colors in her day. Yellow, blue, white, green.


I only had to do minimal sanding to get her ready to paint. I skipped the primer because I knew I'd be doing some heavy distressing. I used a Martha Stewart pre-mixed sample in Ballet Slipper. A few bucks and I had more than enough.



It had this weird little seat. It was too small and uncomfortable to sit on. My dad cut a piece of plywood for me to use as a new, more proportionate seat.



The color is a super soft pink. I'm going through my pink phase late in life and needed to paint something pink. Sometimes I wish I would have liked girlier things when I was little, instead of Power Rangers and four wheelers. But then I would have missed out on pretending to be Blue Ranger (he was the smartest) while riding my fourweeler... 

Anyway!


I used drop cloth to cover the  seat. I had picked out some other printed fabrics but kept going back to the plain drop cloth. I wanted the heavy distressing to take center stage.


I used a super fine sand paper to distress. I've found that doing it this way takes longer but gives a more natural worn look. 

TIP: Let your paint cure for a couple days. It will distress more naturally without peeling as much.


Another TIP: Distress an area, paint over it and distress it again. This makes it look legit haha.





Sorry for so many pictures! I just love all the detail of this piece. And all the pink-ness.

Anyone else having an affair with pink lately?

Sincerely,
Ashleigh

PS:
PhotobucketDomestically SpeakingTransformation ThursdayFurniture Feature Fridays The DIY Show Off

12 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

adorable! it is so soft and pretty now!

Unknown said...

Miss Ashleigh, your awesomeness is showing again. Here's the thing, that was originally a caned chair, as evidenced by that little strip of spline around the seat opening. I happen to know a cool lady who might be able to help a sista out with redoing the caning, should someone be interested in doing it. hmmm...just throwing an idea out there. :D I love the pink and the drop cloth with it. Great job on the distressing, too.

Just Jaime said...

Looks awesome! Great find and great redo!

Cindy said...

I could definitely have a full blown affair with pink if I let myself. I Love your little rocking chair, it is so sweet and adorable in distressed pink.
Hugs, Cindy

Vintage Restyled said...

lOVE THE PAINT! Good Job!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Very pretty! Nice job :)

THEBUZYBUG said...

Very cute!! Love the seat!

Sue said...

You did a great job on the chair. I love pink too!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing it with us:) I'm a new follower.

The Prairie Homemaker said...

Very nice!
hugs
m

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Very nice!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Further proof that one man's trash is another man's treasure! Loving the transformation.

I'm your newest follower; found you via Kim's blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...