Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

6.06.2011

My First Curbside Makeover

Hi all. I'm excited to bring you my first ever curbside makeover. Well, there was that coffee table. But that wasn't mine. I first showed you this end table in this post. Here's a little refresher:


It is a pretty solid piece. The drawer is dove tailed an the only thing majorly wrong with it (besides the dated yellow finish) was the peeling veneer on the top.


I peeled off the remaining veneer using the hot iron and towel method. I used wood filler to fill the bigger gouges. Then I used spackle to go over the entire area to even it out. I let that dry, sanded it, did another layer and then sanded it again. I used fine grit  to ensure a smooth surface. I also used this time to fill in a few other minor scrapes. I usually don't do this, but I didn't want to distress this piece so it was necessary.


Inspired by Cassie's nightstands (over at Primitive & Proper) to break outside of my color comfort zone, I picked out a deep purple. I wasn't quite ready to go too bright haha.


The color is Kalamata Olive by Behr.


The knob is from Anthro on sale. Yellow and purple are compliments so it made sense. I think it's fun. I could always change it to something more subdued if the mood strikes me. 



I think this one will be coming with me to the new apartment...

 
...which I move into in like a week and a half. Crazy! So if we're a little light on posts it's because we're in a transitional period! But don't worry, we'll have lots to blog about once we're settled in!

How do you feel about the purple? Love it or hate it?

Sincerely,
Ashleigh

PS:
  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/HOGPhotobucketMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Domestically SpeakingPhotobucketTransformation ThursdayFurniture Feature FridaysChic on a Shoestring Decorating

18 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooh i love it! love the dark color and that knob! it is so hip!
love your style! :)

Unknown said...

great job and i love the little knob. that veneer is tough im doing a table and had to scrape it all off as well

Just Jaime said...

Great job! I tried to pick up a curbside treasure last week but it wouldn't fit in my car. I was so sad!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh I love it!!!!!

One to Intaglio said...

You just outdo yourself. Gorgeous.

Kacey said...

I think it's gorgeous! The purple is so unexpected and elegant and the yellow is fun, so it's a great mix. Good luck with the move!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice makeover. I love the funky knob.

Vintage Restyled said...

Love it! I'm adding you guys to my blogroll, so I do not miss anything! Love that you're local!

Anny said...

I love the purple! Its such a lovely shade too.

Jessica said...

What a great makeover! Love the color!

sam4ever said...

the purple reminds me of eggplant. I like. what was the finish? semi-gloss?

the cape on the corner said...

great job! glad i clicked through and saw the purple-looks like black in the linky to me. i LOVE how you tied in the yellow in the knob to the carpet. congrats on your first curbside redo!

Anonymous said...

I love purple. That is a gorgeous shade. It looks great. I love the name too, gives me olive cravings lol.

x

Jessica said...

nice work! veneer scares me off whenever i'm at goodwill. i'm so impressed (yet again!)
xoxojess

Kristen at Hillside Hideaway said...

LOVE IT! Gorgeous color and the hardware is a perfect accent. I'm working on my first curbside find too...a card file cabinet that was filled with insurance policy records (which probably should have been shredded...jeez!). Grabbing something from the curb under cover of night like a little weasel was surprisingly exciting, haha.

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Wow I love it! i have a hideous old night stand that needs a makeover like this!

aggieam01 said...

Beautiful!

Deana said...

Looks fabulous! You've done so many great projects. Lots of them would be a good addition to my weekly blog party "From Trash to Treasure". I'd love it if you joined me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...