Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

5.13.2011

A Chalkboard Suitcase

I'm very excited about this post! It features one of my favorite makeovers to date and trashy treasure. Seriously. Found him/her (I'm not sure yet) next to the trash cans outside my apartment building. Score.

First up- this vintage suitcase I found at the local antique shop.

DSC_4829

DSC_4830

It was nice as is and I did like the color but there were some imperfections that bothered me.  I bought some chalkboard paint a while ago with nothing particular in mind. This seemed like the perfect first project.
I primed it first with some gray spray primer.

DSC_4831

Then I gave it a couple coats of chalkboard paint, making sure to let it dry the full four hours in between coats.

DSC_4835

The worst part about chalkboard paint, you ask? WAITING THREE DAYS TO WRITE ON IT. THREE DAYS! I like instant gratification. Thankfully I didn't have chalk or I would have drawn on it the next morning haha.  Here it is (atop my curbside find) patiently waiting to be drawn on.

DSC_4848

I actually liked it like this. I love the matte finish. But I was itching to put some chalk on it.

Finally, I was able to "season it." This is super important. You have to rub chalk all over it and rub it in before you write on it. If you don't, what ever you write will be burned into the surface. And we don't want that!

DSC_4854

Ok. I've kept you waiting long enough! 

DSC_4860

The quote is a lyric from one of my favorite songs ever, "Trapeze Swinger" by Iron & Wine.

Here's a full shot of my curbside find. It's solid and in pretty good shape. I wouldn't be surprised if it came from one of the graduating seniors haha. I have no shame.

DSC_4859

I'm excited to work on it when I get the time. I may even keep it for my own place.

DSC_4861

So, what do you think? I think I might use it as a prop for some senior pictures I'll be taking soon. I'm in love!

Sincerely,
Ashleigh
PS: I've been advised by a dear friend that my suitcase "is clearly a he and his name is Jorb." So, Jorb it is!

PPS:
Transformation Thursday Beyond The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring Decorating The DIY Show Off

13 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this sweet and sentimental idea! it's great for a guestrooom, or foyer. ooh. maybe i need a little one for my foyer. :)

Curtains in My Tree said...

When I seen your suitcase find it reminded me of my Grandmother

That was her first set of luggage back in 1959 or 1960 .Lady Baltimore

I like the chalk board paint idea. I painted an entire door in chalkboard paint for my neighbor kids to write on

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my, my daughter found one just like it for $2 and it's gold in color, the exact kind, she keeps it in her living room, it's a vintage, Lady B., 1950's! I love what you did with it, so much fun, I will show this to my Alexandra so she can see it! Thank you for coming by and for the sweet and lovely comments!
Hugs
FABBY

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

So clever! I would have never thought to paint a suitcase, much less with chalkboard paint.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Oh my gosh -- I LOVE this! This would be so fun to have in a guest room, well okay ANY room! Great job! (And great patience!)

Unknown said...

So cute! Great job.

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic idea! I'm having a spray paint party & would love it if you would link up :-)
http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/2011/05/krylon-kapers-kickoff.html

THEBUZYBUG said...

Cute suitcase...love the chalk idea. Also, love your curbside find! TFS.

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Love it!! I adore chalkboard paint! I did a suitcase this week too! Hope you'll stop by and see it at http://shabby-chic-charming.blogspot.com/2011/05/vintage-suitcase-table.html

Unknown said...

This the first time I have seen chalk paint on a suitcase. What a cute idea.
Traci

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Super cute! I would never have thought to paint a suitcase.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you stated in a much more direct way what I was trying to communicate, thanks, I will recommend your site to my friends.

My site:
internet flatrate vergleich und dsl vergleich

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This
kind of clever work and coverage keeps me reading!
Keep up the great work. I've added you guys to our blogroll.

More to read on my webpage UK inheritance

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...