Ok, so it's been an incredibly long time since I first introduced you to these chairs here. Well I finally got around to finishing them up (which I could not have done without the help of this wonderful, insanely talented woman), but I took so many pictures that I'm splitting it up into two posts. So here is part 2 of my pair of antique chair makeover:
Disclaimer: Lots of Liam pictures in this post. I can't help it! He loves being in the spot light!
With the help of my wonderful boyfriend (and kitty), we began tearing these guys apart.
There was a lot of this:
Which resulted in this mess:
After the crumbly-foam-pocolypse we were left with this:
We popped the backs out and saved them for future reference.
Liam found a place to lay and watch. It's not like he was in the way or anything!
I sanded off the peeling finish so I could paint.
Then I prepared my first coat. I knew I wanted to distress the frames so I mixed a gray color to be the base coat.
I distressed the base coat a little then painted over it with a soft black from Martha Stewart. After distressing I gave them each a coat of wax. You can sort of see the difference: the one in the back was waxed and the front wasn't.
Here are some close-ups of the final finish.
Love love love!
Stay tuned for the finished chairs! Hopefully I can get to the post this week! I'm still settling into my new apartment and need to get some good pictures! Then I'll be able to cross a few things off of Sincerely's 100 List!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!