Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

3.28.2011

Sheet Metal Memo Board

A few months ago I was thrifting and happened upon a frame with broken glass. I wasn't sure what I'd use it for but I figured I'd think of something so I threw it in the cart. Up at the counter I asked for a discount since the glass was broken. I can't remember the exact number but I know I walked away with that frame for less than $2. This was an incredible deal seeing as I knew I didn't need the glass anyway. 

I brought home my find at it sat in my parents basement for a few months. Here's the broken beauty:

photo-1

After Sarah sent me the calendar she designed {you can find it here} inspiration struck. I wanted something clean and a little more modern. I've used sheet metal in frames before but I've always painted it. This time I thought leaving it raw would be interesting.

I primed and spray painted the frame with a semi-gloss white enamel. Then I picked up this piece of sheet metal from Home Depot. I usually use scrap that my dad has at his machine shop because it's free, but he was busy and I didn't feel like making him dig some up.


photo(2)

I think I paid about $6 for this piece. I had my dad trim it down for me with a band saw but since it's thin you could easily do this with snips. Then he used the orbital sander to buff a nice finish on it. You could probably do this with steel wool or something similar.

DSC_4692

I used plain magnets to keep it simple and add to the "industrial chic" look. My mom liked it, and it looked nice hanging in her bedroom, so I let her keep it.


DSC_4698

Frame- $2
Sheet Metal- $6
Spray paint- $4
Magnets- Left over from a long time ago
Total: $12

Mom, don't say I never made you anything!

Anyway, you still have time to download a hi-res calendar for April if you'd like. You can find that here!


Let me know what you think!

Sincerely,
Ashleigh

PS Linking up to:
Domestically Speaking

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Photobucket



  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
HOG

Photobucket

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job, Ashleigh. I'm sure your Momma loves it! I like the mix of modern and traditional elements.

Anonymous said...

Ashleigh, it's so wonderful knowing someone inherited your Aunt Dar's talent!!!! haha You are fantastic. I wish I had just a tad of your ingenuity. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

Rebecca said...

This looks nice! I like the use of sheet metal.

By the Bluegrass said...

LOVE the this. The juxtaposition of the fancy frame and the sheet metal is great.
xo,
Sena

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Cute idea Ashleigh! I love the combination of modern mixed with the traditional frame. The calendar looks great hanging on it too.

♥ Miss Tea said...

cool project! love the result! you're so crafty!

Tammy @ Type A said...

will home depot cut it down for you? did you have to cut it? is it easy to cut? thanks for sharing this at my party!

Kim said...

Now THAT's a great idea! I'm here from Kim's party and I'm your newest follower.
xoxo,
Kim

Donnie said...

That's going to be very useful. Nice.

Unknown said...

Cute! i love that you used the sheet metal; an ordinary piece of material in a unique way. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sheet Metal Fabrication said...

Hi,
Thanks for providing us such a cool post. I have been wondering about this topic. So thanks for sharing such a useful information with us. I will definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts.

Anonymous said...

здесь на этом интернет-сайте подобран большой ассортимент интересных статей о [url=http://www.rk-37.ru/]лучшие женские сайты[/url].

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...