Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

3.03.2011

My Sister's Bookshelf

083


Today I want to share a bookcase makeover completed  by my older sister and I. AKA: I did all the dirty work and she got to do the fun parts!


IMG_0016


This is the lovely bookshelf. It was sitting in our living room in all its laminate glory when my sister decided she needed something to hold her DVD's.

IMG_4225


You can see here that we had used it in a garage sale, so it had some sticker residue. No problem though. It came off easily with some goof off that my dad gave me. He uses it to clean grease off of metal parts at work so it's pretty strong.

IMG_4227


I filled in all the screw holes and imperfections. Then hired a studly man to sand it all down for me ;)

IMG_4226


Now let's skip forward a few steps. I primed it. My sister painted it. Then she got to work spiffing it up a little more. She wanted to line the back with pretty fabric, but didn't want it to be permanent. So she cut a template out of poster board.

2.template


She made sure it fit snugly. 

3. fitting template


And then simply taped the fabric to the poster board. That way, if she ever wants to change it, she can and she still would be able to use the fabric for something else.

7. back

6. front


She picked a really pretty gray fabric with cute little pictures and french words.

8. half way


She decided she wanted a shelf where she could put her exercise DVD's and weights where they would be out of sight. So she used tension rods and sewed cute little curtains that she could slide open and shut.
10. curtain #1

082



083
So cute. I'm jealous.

085


So here it is in all its glory. Kait told me she didn't want to put her DVDs on it because it was so cute! But now its cute and functional.

I hope everyone's having a great week!

Sincerely,
Ashleigh 

PS. Linking up to:

Furniture Feature Fridays 
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
HouseofHepworths

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fabric is lovely. Great idea to apply it so it can be changed up, and reused. Also a great idea for the curtains. Way to go girls.

Hugs,
Lisa x

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Looks really great. I have a bookcase very much like that in my garage. Maybe I should bring it back in and give it a second chance.
-Barb-

Renee said...

That's really cool fabric...great makeover!

Jenn said...

Great job! I have one of these bookshelves and a spare tension rod, paint and some fabric! Looks like I have a new weekend project! This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Lily Dily said...

I love this! I have several bookshelves like this...hummm time to get to work? But where is the man you hired to sand? lol Thanks, Linda

Kristen said...

I have a bookshelf like this that's 10 years old and so useful, but so ugly! I'm thinking I'll be painting it soon...thanks for the inspiration!

www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com

Sommer said...

Aheleigh that turned out FABULOUS! I've been wanting to do a similar version of this in my walk in pantry. So so CUTE! I would be delighted if you would link up to my VIP Party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/guess-what-were-back-online-for-weekly.html

Sommer @ Designer Garden

Rachel said...

Followed your link from Chic on a Shoestring, great project! I love the paint color and the fabric backboard!!! LOVELY!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I made the blog lol and what are you talking about you did all the dirty work?! I'm pretty sure your studly handyman did the dirty work and then I labored for hours over the painting and sewing lol just kidding glad so many people liked it. I guess you aren't the only creative one in the family. love ya! - Kait

Anonymous said...

It is really cute, and I love that she can hide stuff away behind the curtains.

Kate said...

This turned out way cute! Great idea about the poster board in the back so you can switch out the fabric. Thanks for linking Flaunt it Friday. I'm going to feature this post so feel free to stop by and grab an "I was featured" button.

Sarah said...

This is adorable, you did a great job!

Danielle said...

Ooo I love it. Great idea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...