Navigation Bar Home Furniture Posts DIY POSTS Photography Design

4.07.2011

(Not Really An) Ikea Hack

A few months ago I embarked on a trip that would go down in history. A trip that would change my life. A trip that would alter my dreams and make one hell of a dent in my savings.  This trip?

ikea-logo


I couldn't believe I hadn't been there until that moment! I felt like much of my life had been wasted. I loved every minute of it. I was lucky enough to go with my best friend, Rachel. You'll remember her as my partner in crime for this beadboard wallpaper makeover. She's a seasoned Ikea shopper and she showed me the ropes.

One thing she picked up was this Bekvam Kitchen Cart. It was the perfect size for her tiny kitchen and with raw, solid wood construction the possibilities were endless.

IMG_4219
Sorry for the dark pictures, they were taken in my basement/winter workshop.



IMG_4220

IMG_4221
We had already applied wood conditioner which is why the top appears darker.

We stained the top with some left over dark stain I had and painted the bottom with MS Tailor's Chalk. I love the way it turned out. We also decided that we hate painting anything with slats. It's the worst! I must invest in a paint spray someday. Someday far, far away.

DSC_4768

DSC_4769


DSC_4768

I LOVE the mason jar light she made. I will have to talk her into doing a guest post tutorial for us. 

DSC_4770 

Well, that's all for now! I'm off to dream of Ikea as I drift off to sleep!
Sincerely,
Ashleigh

PS Linking up to:



Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you've gone over to the dark side, there's no turning back. Ikea will take over your mind. Love how the cart turned out, and that Mason jar light.

x

Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage said...

What a cute makeover - it has so much more personality now! Isn't Ikea THE BEST!?

I'd love it if you'd link this great project up to The AFTER Party @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage!

http://www.3meadowlakecottage.com/2011/04/after-party-and-fireplace-beforeafter.html

Love your blog, by the way!
~Erin

Rebecca said...

It looks fabulous!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Yeah, talk her into doing a guest tutorial! She's talented especially with that mason jar turning into a mini-chandy :) I love how your Ikea hack turned out. Really appreciate you linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. See you next week!

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Ashleigh, the cart looks so much better painted and stained. You two did a great job! I know what you mean about painting things with slats...ugh! It was worth it, though because it turned out so pretty :) I love the mason jar light too!

Amanda

DIYbyDesign said...

You gotta love Ikea. So many great things you can customize. You did a great job. I am your latest follower from the blog hop. Hope you stop by and follow me back. Thanks so much. www.diybydesign.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...